This course covers the inhabitants of the spirit world beginning with the Angels, the Jinn and human souls.
- To develop the student’s basic knowledge of the Second Pillar of Faith: Belief in the Angels.
- To enable the student to understand the spirit world and to distinguish between fact and fiction regarding its inhabitants and their relationships.
- To enable students to comprehend the significance of Satan and to be aware of his snares and his weapons.
- To teach students about spiritual ailments and how they are to be treated according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah.
- To clarfy for students the wisdom behind Satan’s creation and role of evil in the world.
II. Class Content
A. Belief in the Angels and the Last Day
- Linguistic and Technical definitions of an Angel
- Proofs for the Existence of Angels
- Reality of Angels
- Characteristics of Angels
- Categories of Angels
- Relationship Between Angels and Humans
B. Jinn and Devils
- Linguistic and Technical Definitions of Jinn and Devils
- Evidence for the Existence of the Jinn
- Reality of the Jinn
- Control over the Jinn
- Relationship Between Jinn and Humans
C. Belief in the Last Day
- The Necessity for Belief in the Last Day
- Reasons Used by Those who Doubt the Last Day
- Signs of the Hour; Minor and Major
- Events Leading Up to the Last Day
- Events of the Last Day
A. Required Text:
- Umar al-Ashqar, The World of the Noble Angels
- Umar al-Ashqar, The World of the Jinn and Devils
- Umar al-Ashqar, The Day of Resurrection
- Ibn Abil-‘Izz, Sharh al-‘Aqeedah at-Tahaawiyyah (Eng. Trans.)
B. Supplementary Texts:
- Abdullah Al Athari, Islamic Beliefs: A Brief Introduction to the ‘Aqeedah of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jama‘ah
- Al-Qurtubee, Luqat al-Murjaan fee Ahkaam al-Jaann
- Al-Qurtubee, at-Tathkirah fee Ahwaal al-Mawtaa wa Umoor al-Aakhirah